right click here and open in new tab or window to hear THE SONG OF MY HEART Moment In A Song: YOU'RE STILL YOU

Sunday, February 25, 2007

YOU'RE STILL YOU

Brick could hardly contain his excitement. With a long stemmed, red rose in his hand, he breezed past the long hallway until he reached the door to Nikki's bedroom

Two years ago today, they were strangers until they were set up to meet by a common friend. The attraction was instant. They just clicked from day one. Right there on the first date, they have fallen in love with each other and haven't parted since.

Initially, most friends and family thought it was no more than a fleeting romance. Yet two years hence, they're still crazy about each other and never more serious in their lives.

Brick has planned this surprise for months. Today, on their anniversary, he would pop the question. He felt the outside of his shirt pocket to make sure the ring was in place.

He opened the door to the bedroom and motioned straight to the bedside. He lovingly looked at Nikki's face. She was still asleep.He took her hand and kissed it. "Happy anniversary, Sweetheart," he whispered softly. Nikki stirred, opened her eyes and smiled at him,"Hi... happy anniversary." She took the rose that Brick brought for her, smelled it. She looked pleased.

Brick was overpowered with emotion watching her as she looked up at him, there was a lump in his throat. There was so much love and adoration passing between them as they gazed at each other. He stroked her hair. Even her brown tresses looked amazing against the pale colored pillow. Then, he started to speak, "Nikki, I have waited for this day, I think from the day I met you. I have never been more in love with anyone in my whole life. You have given me more than you know. You made me smile. You made me strong against the tides. You made me hope. Babe, you are the love of my life. I love you so much more than you know..."

"Brick, I love you so much, too. You know that," she replied and broke into a sweet smile.

"Nikki," he reached into his shirt pocket and recovered the ring, "I was planning to do this in Bora. Hadn't in been for..." His voice trailed off. Nikki was staring wide-eyed at the ring."Well, I was hoping we'd be in Boracay today, like we have planned. But, you realize the setback." He was laughing.

He moved his wheelchair about two inches closer to the bed. Nikki reached her hand out to lightly pinch his nose. She was laughing, too. This was all she could do. Eversince the accident she has become paralyzed from the waist down. So has Brick, paralyzed as well from the waist down.

Six months ago, the couple went for a rock climbing adventure and figured in a freak accident. But while most people became bitter, they tried to keep their wits about, stayed strong for each other and used humor to survive the pain.

Nothing dared take away this moment from them. Not the accident. Not the disability.

Brick held the ring with both hands against his chest and went on,"Monica San Juan, you are the one I want to be with for the rest of my life. I love you. Please share the future with me. Will you be Mrs. Evangelista? Will you marry me?"

With tears in her eyes, Nikki replied, "Yes. Yes, I will be Mrs. Miguel Evangelista. I will marry you, Brick. I love you, too."

With this, Brick put the ring in Nikki's finger and then leaned over. They kissed.


YOU'RE STILL YOU
Josh Groban

Through the darkness
I can see your light
And you will always shine
And I can feel you’re heart in mine
Your face I've memorized
I idolize just you
I look up to
Everything you are
In my eyes you do no wrong
I’ve loved you for so long
And after all is said and done
You’re still you
After all
You’re still you

You walked past me
I can feel your pain
Time changes everything
One truth always stays the same
You’re still you
After all
You’re still you

I look up to
Everything you are
In my eyes you do no wrong
And I believe in you
Although you never asked me to
I will remember you
And what life put you through
And in this cruel and lonely world
I’ve found one love
You’re still you
After all
You’re still you